In this episode I talk about the origins and my experiences of pesto Genovese, probably the most famous Italian pasta sauce in the world.
If you have any questions about this episode, please write them in the comments below and I will answer them as soon as possible. As always, if you enjoyed the episode, please share it with someone else you think might enjoy it. If you have a moment, please rate and/or write a review for this episode on iTunes. This will help other people to find and enjoy the podcast. Thank you so much for your continued support of Luca’s Italy and for all the wonderful feedback I’ve received so far. If you’d like to help me create and develop this podcast and receive exclusive bonus material and updates, please consider becoming a patron. Full details are on my Patreon site. Grazie mille!
The episode includes:
- My first experience of pesto
- My first time at the opera
- The earliest known recipe for pesto
- How the history of Genoa is contained in the sauce
- Why Genova, Padova, and Mantova lose their vs in English
- The garlicky origins of the sauce
- Pesto today
- The World Pesto Championships
- How to make it
Aida at the Arena di Verona in 1987: the very production I saw.
My recipe for pesto.