I’m delighted to present to you my first video recipe for Chestnuts and Truffles TV on YouTube. I really enjoyed making this video since I was able to go into a lot more detail about techniques, particularly with the pasta frolla, or shortcrust pastry, than you can in a recipe. You also get to see a bit of Tuscany and you’ll be seeing a lot more as I get out and about in future videos. The full recipe including all the ingredients is below. Buon appetito!
Crostata di Ciliegie
250g / 2 cups plain flour
50g 1/4 cup granulated sugar
5g / 1 teaspoon salt
< 120g / 1/2 cup water
125g / 1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 pot jam
- Put the flour, sugar, and salt into a bowl.
- Add the butter and rub in with your fingers until you have achieved the consistency of breadcrumbs.
- Add enough water to bring the mixture together into a dough. Wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for one hour.
- Butter a pie tin. Roll the pastry out to fill the bottom of the pie tin. Prick the base of the pastry with a fork. Keep the leftover pastry. Refrigerate the pastry case for one hour.
- Roll out and cut the remaining pastry into eight strips with a pasta wheel.
- Cover the bottom of the pastry case with jam.
- Place the strips of pastry over the top of the jam in the form of a lattice.
- Bake at 180°C / 355°F for 35-40 minutes. Allow to cool completely before serving.