These almond biscuits from Umbria are traditionally served on November 2, the feast of All Souls day, hence the name which means beans of the dead.
Fave dei Morti
250g (2 2./3 cups) ground almonds
250g (1 1/8 cups) granulated sugar
175g (1 1/4 cups) plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 lemon zest
10g (2/3 tablespoon) butter, melted
3 egg whites
- Mix the almonds, sugar, flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, and lemon zest together in a bowl.
- Add the egg and melted butter and stir to combine.
- Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks and then combine with the rest of the ingredients to make a dough.
- Knead the dough until it becomes firm.
- Shape the dough into bean shapes and place on a baking tray.
- Bake at 150–160°C (300–320°C) for 25 minutes. Leave to cool completely before serving.